The Latest: Dallas Opera cancels 2020 Domingo performance

FILE - In this Tuesday, Sept. 14, 1999 file photo, Placido Domingo acknowledges the audience after receiving the 1999 Hispanic Heritage Award at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington. An evening before a performance of “Le Cid,” part of the Washington Opera’s 1999-2000 season, opera singer Angela Turner Wilson said she and Domingo were having their makeup done together when he rose from his chair, stood behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. As she looked at him in the mirror, he suddenly slipped his hands under her bra straps, she said, then reached down into her robe and grabbed her bare breast. "It hurt," she told The Associated Press. “It was not gentle. He groped me hard.” She said Domingo then turned and walked away, leaving her stunned and humiliated. (AP Photo/Leslie Kossoff)
FILE - In this Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2019 file photo, Placido Domingo and his wife, Marta, attend a rehearsal for the opening gala of the Gerard of Sagredo Youth Forum and Sports Center in Szeged, Hungary, a day prior to the event. Melinda McLain, who was the production coordinator at LA Opera for its inaugural season in 1986-87 and also worked at the Houston Grand Opera, said she and others would invite Marta to attend company parties “because if Marta was around, he behaves.” (Tibor Rosta/MTI via AP)
CORRECTS NAME TO MELINDA MCLAIN INSTEAD OF MCCLAIN In this Aug. 30, 2019 photo, Melinda McLain stands for a portrait in El Cerrito, Calif. Now a pastor, McLain, who was the production coordinator at LA Opera for its inaugural season in 1986-87 and also worked at the Houston Grand Opera, said that at both opera companies, she made it a point to never put Placido Domingo in a rehearsal room alone with a young female singer, even if he specifically requested it, and also tried to supply him with male dressers. “We created these elaborate schemes for keeping him away from particular singers.” (AP Photo/Terry Chea)
In this Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2019 photo provided by opera singer Angela Turner Wilson, she displays her 2000 Artist of the Year award from the Washington Opera next to a photo of herself from a 1999 performance of "Le Cid," left, and a magazine article in a Washington Opera magazine, at her home in Texas. An evening before a performance of "Le Cid," part of the Washington Opera's 1999-2000 season, she said she and Placido Domingo were having their makeup done together when he rose from his chair, stood behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. As she looked at him in the mirror, he suddenly slipped his hands under her bra straps, she said, then reached down into her robe and grabbed her bare breast. "It hurt," she told The Associated Press. "It was not gentle. He groped me hard." She said Domingo then turned and walked away, leaving her stunned and humiliated. (Courtesy Angela Turner Wilson via AP)
FILE - In this Friday, July 12, 2019 file photo, retired opera singer Patricia Wulf poses for a portrait at her home in Virginia. Wulf told the AP that Placido Domingo would confront her night after night when they performed together with the same whispered question, uttered very close to her face: “‘Patricia, do you have to go home tonight?’” (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

The Latest on new sexual misconduct allegations against opera star Placido Domingo (all times Eastern):

8 p.m.

The Dallas Opera has canceled a 2020 Placido Domingo event due to harassment and groping allegations against the opera superstar.

The opera said Thursday the gala had been set for March 11 but was taken off the calendar due to "ongoing developments regarding allegations made against" Domingo.

Eleven women have come forward in an AP story published Thursday with new allegations of sexual misconduct against Domingo.

In a statement, Domingo's spokeswoman said the new allegations were riddled with inconsistencies, but she provided no specifics.

Spokeswoman Nancy Seltzer did not immediately respond to an email about the Dallas Opera's performance cancellation.

Nine women previously told The Associated Press that they had been harassed by the star.

___

4:30 p.m.

The Los Angeles Opera says it takes new allegations of sexual harassment against Placido Domingo "extremely seriously" but cannot discuss any specific claims because of an ongoing investigation into the star, who serves as the company's general director.

Eleven women have come forward with new allegations of sexual misconduct against Domingo. They join nine women who told The Associated Press in a story published Aug. 13 that they had been harassed by the star. That initial story prompted LA Opera to open an investigation into Domingo, who has been general director since 2003.

The new accusers included LA Opera backstage staff who said that Domingo's behavior was common knowledge and that management had been aware of it for decades. Some costume department employees also said they made it a point to keep young female singers away from him.

The Metropolitan Opera in New York said it would continue to await LA Opera's findings before making any "final decisions" about Domingo's future at the Met, where he is scheduled to perform starting Sept. 25.

In a statement, Domingo's spokeswoman called the new allegations "riddled with inconsistencies" but provided no specifics.

___

2:45 p.m.

Washington National Opera has issued a statement saying it is "disturbed and disheartened" by new allegations in an Associated Press story in which 11 women accuse opera legend Placido Domingo of sexual misconduct.

In the AP story published Thursday, soprano Angela Turner Wilson said Domingo sexually harassed her during a 1999 production of "Le Cid" at the Washington opera company. Wilson said Domingo forcefully grabbed her breast during a makeup session before a performance and on another occasion tried to kiss her in her dressing room and blocked her from leaving until she allowed him to kiss her cheek.

Washington Opera's statement did not mention Wilson by name and did not say if it plans to investigate her allegations. Wilson performed four seasons with the company and won its "Artist of the Year" award in 2000.

The company added that it appreciated the courage it takes women to come forward with such allegations and noted it has zero tolerance policies with regard to harassment and discrimination.

Domingo's spokeswoman did not respond to specific accusations, but instead called the allegations "riddled with inconsistencies." "

___

12:15 a.m.

Weeks after The Associated Press published a story outlining harassment allegations against opera legend Placido Domingo, new women have come forward to say that the superstar groped them, harassed them or behaved inappropriately.

Eleven women shared new stories about encounters with Domingo, who is currently the general director of LA Opera. One woman said he forcefully grabbed her breast under her robe backstage in 1999 and others said his actions included unwanted touching or attempts to kiss them.

Several backstage employees described for the AP how they strove to shield young women from the superstar as administrators looked the other way, as recently as LA Opera's 2016-2017 season.

In a statement, Domingo's spokeswoman called the allegations "riddled with inconsistencies" but provided no specifics.

You may also interested in

Kerry heading to Africa for talks on counterterrorism

Aug 20, 2016

Kerry heading to Africa for counterterrorism talks, followed by Saudi visit on Yemen conflict

British comic actor, mental health campaigner Brian Rix dies

Aug 20, 2016

Brian Rix, a British comic actor who used his fame to draw attention to the struggles of people with learning disabilities, has died

Tokyo prepares for 2020, facing rising costs and new sports

Aug 22, 2016

Tokyo's up as the next Summer Olympics host city, facing rising costs and 5 new sports

Syok Asia welcomes the generations to witness the beautiful world of art and creativity in Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Contact us: sales@syokasia.com